Saturday 30 October 2021

Lee Joon Gi's Interview in Kankoku TV Drama Guide 2021 Vol. 97

 


LEE JOON GI'S

INTERVIEW

IN

KANKOKU

TV DRAMA GUIDE

2021

VOL. 97





 

THE INTERVIEW


 

 


Source:

https://allaboutjoongi.tumblr.com/

 


 

 


 

 

C1

 

 

A trustworthy actor. An actor who continues to create characters that touch our hearts. That’s Lee Joon-gi, and he has once again created another career-defining work.

 

And that is Flower of Evil, the story of a man who hides terrible past secrets and feigns his love for his wife he’s been with for the past 14 years.

 

This time, Lee Joon-gi plays the son of a serial killer named Do Hyun-soo. Living the life of another person named Baek Hee-seong, Hyun-soo does not understand what emotions are because he grew up in an environment that traumatized him in the past.

 

 

 

JG

 

 

When I first read the script, I was very worried and even scared about how I was going to play this role to make viewers understand and convince them.

 

I thought that my vessel (*) was still not big enough for me to portray a character with such a complex inner world, and I couldn’t even imagine what the character looked like.

 

No matter how much I thought about it, no matter how many times I read the script, I couldn’t shake off the pressure I felt because there have been so many psychopathic characters.

 

If viewers thought, ‘It’s just another psychopath character’, then we wouldn’t be able to get viewers’ attention right from the get-go. I felt like we would end up failing to get them focused even before we could convince them.

 

(*The ‘vessel’ is Joon-gi’s favorite metaphor that he’s often used to refer to his capacity or competence.)

 

 

 

C2

 

 

You might find yourself attracted to the ‘psychopath’ aspect of the drama, but then it has suspense and romance constantly colliding and then harmonizing before it eventually evolves into a touching and beautiful love story.

 

It is such a demanding role and a tremendous challenge for Lee Joon-gi. But he says he became gradually fascinated by this unique story world through his performance. He was particularly attracted to how Hyun-soo’s relationship with his wife Ji-won dramatically changed Hyun-soo’s life.

 

Because, no matter what choice or action Hyun-soo takes, the key to understanding it is how Hyun-soo always thinks about Ji-won. 

 

 

 

JG

 

 

To Hyun-soo, Ji-won is ‘light.’ And ‘hope.’

 

The family Hyun-soo has built with Ji-won is the first ‘place to live’ (home) he has ever had in life, and living in it, he has felt a sense of peace and warmth.

 

(Due to his very unusual upbringing and the unfair treatment he suffered at the hands of the townsfolk) Hyun-soo suffered so much as a child, was deprived of love, and now lacks human emotions.

 

Ji-won is the one who builds this place with Hyun-soo that fills him with those human emotions. That’s why Ji-won is a very ‘precious person.’

 

To Hyun-soo, Ji-won literally means life.

 

 

 

C3

 

 

There is a scene where Hyun-soo’s older sister, Hae-soo, tells him after seeing him trying to make his wife in trouble happy: ‘To you, Ji-won is a very ‘precious person.’

 

To that, Hyun-soo says, ‘Yes. She’s very important.’

 

Hae-soo says, ‘For something important, after time passes you realize that was not such an important thing. But after a ‘precious’ thing passes, it really hurts.’

 

Hearing Lee Joon-gi, too, describe Ji-won as a ‘precious person’, we can guess that Joon-gi also had the same thoughts as his own character did.

 

 

 

JG

 

 

Up until he realizes he can feel emotions, Hyun-soo has lived with the thought, ‘I need Ji-won to protect and secure the life I have now.’ So to him, Ji-won has been the only hope.

 

But once he realizes he can feel emotions, Ji-won has become ‘light’ to him. That’s why he thinks she is someone really precious to him. He is ready to throw it all away, thinking, ‘There is nothing I can’t do to protect my wife and daughter I love and can’t afford to lose.’

 

To Hyun-soo, Ji-won is light, hope, and life.

 

 

 

C4

 

 

To Hyun-soo, Ji-won is like a savior.

 

What lines in the drama does Lee Joon-gi find most memorable?

 

 

 

JG

 

 

Ji-won has always pushed that ‘switch’ to get Hyun-soo’s emotions on and functioning. She has embraced his pain and suffering, and struggles to protect me even when she is forced to stand face to face with the cruel truth and accept it.

 

The lines I found most memorable are from one of the past scenes where the two are together. Hyun-soo never knew what emotions are like, always avoided and hid away from people.

 

Then, Ji-won was the first person who showed any interest in Hyun-soo, and expressed affection for him.

 

Hyun-soo felt awkward because he had no idea what kind of feeling that was, but there is this scene where he feels what Ji-won feels for the first time: the scene where Ji-won says, ‘I will love you more. I will be really good to you’, and then kisses him. (From Episode 5; it also appears as a flashback at the beginning of Episode 1.)

 

Up until that moment, Hyun-soo has always been haunted by the illusion of his dead father, but right then, the father’s illusion disappears, and the things that have haunted Hyun-soo like some kind of obsession also fade away.

 

‘How come I am feeling so peaceful now?’

 

‘What kind of person is she?

 

‘How come she sees me just the way I am, without any pretense, without any barrier?’

 

Those lines were what prompted him to feel this infinite love, a love that asks for nothing in return.

 

 

 

C5

 

 

Newfound acting style that felt rewarding

 

This drama even made Lee Joon-gi change his perspective on acting.

 

 

 

JG

 

 

Up until now, I tended to monitor my work thoroughly. I was the type of actor who would check back my work every time I heard ‘Cut’.

 

However, this time, I abandoned my old methods. Because, if I let my thoughts, eagerness, or overthinking get in the way, it would ruin the balance of the whole drama.

 

I realized that when I tried to make things up, it felt too forced and a little too stiff. That’s why, for this role, I wanted to make it feel rather plain and dry, consciously giving a performance that was much more emotionally restrained, all the while following the reactions my co-stars gave me.

 

Because, in the end, people like Hyun-soo can be very different depending on the person he interacts with.

 

 

 

C6

 

 

Of course, he says, at first, he was curious what his performance looked like during the shoot.

 

 

 

JG

 

 

Anyway, I trusted my director and (people I worked with) on set.

 

Fortunately, things went well and I got OK.

 

When I forgot my lines or got my lines wrong, I suggested that we do it over.

 

But other than that, I left it all up to the director’s judgment. Instead, when doing the rehearsals, I talked everything through with the director, and he would take a look at my performance like I was in an audition.

 

So that was how we put the scenes together, and as a result, we were able to get the scenes just the way the director expected them to be, and some even surpassed our expectations.

 

Instead of remaining fixated on my own performance, I tried to look at the big picture and immerse myself into the life of this person, Hyun-soo. Personally, I think it wasn’t such a bad choice.

 

 

 

C7

 

 

He says, along with this change of acting style came unexpected discoveries, too.

 

 

 

JG

 

 

This time, I was able to watch it on TV from viewers’ point of view, and it was so great.

 

I didn’t do any monitoring so I had no idea how the actual drama would come out. I couldn’t remember well how the filming went, either, so I was laughing and crying just like any other viewer, saying things like, ‘Wow, the director did such an awesome job.’

 

I was so eagerly looking forward to each episode; I really became one of the drama’s fans. I even cried watching the final episode. (laughs)

 

 

 

C8

 

 

Lee Joon-gi says he will probably stick to this new acting style for the time being.

 

 

 

JG

 

 

Up until now, I have had this obsession: a lead actor should not be just acting but needs to look at the big picture from a director’s standpoint.

 

There were some who agreed with this attitude, but this seonbae (senior) actor, who dotes on me, once said, ‘Joon-gi, right now you are too ‘open.’ You need to close up a bit.’

 

Come to think of it, I think the seonbae thought I looked awkward.

 

This time, however, I took my chances and ‘let go.’ When I did, I became convinced that this approach worked.

 

So, this was how I found a ‘new me’. I guess the right way to put this is: ‘I should let go a bit and put aside my eagerness.’

 

 

 

C9

 

 

This drama also asks what it means to live an authentic life.

 

How does Lee Joon-gi want to live his life from now on?

 

 

 

JG

 

 

For me, living the lives of other people is my job. As long as I do it for a job, it’s a happy thing.

 

But what if I were in such bad situations as the ones Hyun-soo has been in, forced to hide myself away? Would I be able to ‘reset’ my life as Hyun-soo does, and acclimatize myself to that new life?

 

I think that kind of life would be extremely hard. Of course, humans are adaptive animals, so I guess I could adjust myself to that new life. However, it is not easy to leave your ‘place,’ where your roots essentially lie, and live a new life, and I don’t think it would be a happy life, either.

 

Eventually, I would end up coming back to find my roots. I do not wish to live that kind of life.

 

I want to treat my life with honesty as ‘Lee Joon-gi’ just the way I am.

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

C = Comment

JG = Lee Joon Gi