Monday 26 March 2018

Lee Joon Gi In The Star Magazine: Ageless In Okinawa




LEE JOON GI
IN
THE STAR
MAGAZINE

AGELESS
IN
OKINAWA















LEE JOON GI

AGELESS

IN
OKINAWA






The Star Magazine March Issue
Lee Joon Gi










The Cover Look. Lee Joon Gi - Ageless in Okinawa. Lee undoubtedly lives up to his reputation of being an ageless star as seen in the March 2018 issue of The Star magazine, the photos of which were shot in Okinawa. Lee had a photo shoot on the Japanese island for his photobook 'Lee Joon Gi In Okinawa' which was on sale at the end of February.




A WALKING ADVERTISEMENT
FOR
RED GINSENG






                                                   Then                                                                                           Now










The trend today for many stars is to look younger and give a buzz but, megastar Lee Joon Gi is forever young. Many say Lee ages backwards. The 36-year old Lee’s Okinawa photo shoot is ample proof that he is unquestionably a walking advertisement for Korean Red Ginseng, something that he is known to partake regularly. Red Ginseng, helpful in ensuring glowing, smooth and firm skin, is also Lee’s nickname.

No one would rail against his young looks. In an industry where youth and young idols are worshipped, Lee seems to have put a brake on aging and has managed to look young, healthy, sexy and gorgeous. Which star can do that? But, superstar Lee Joon Gi is South Korean showbusiness royalty; he is a tough act to follow. Lee is in a league of his own.














THE LONELY SUPERSTAR












For The Star magazine, the galactic South Korean personality wore many trendy outfits that catch the eye; he’s a natural at modelling. No list of South Korean male supermodels would be complete without Lee Joon Gi’s name.

In spite of being South Korea’s most recognizable and loved actor, model and pop star, Lee faces many challenges in life.  One striking thing that Lee Joon Gi has highlighted in The Star interview is his loneliness, particularly in the winter. ‘Lonely’ means ‘without a life partner’. Lee Joon Gi is 36 this year. For the Koreans, he will be 37. Lee should be allowed to dispel his ‘loneliness’ and live a normal life. Perhaps, it is Lee Joon Gi’s plea to his fans to give him the green light to go to the next stage of his life: A girlfriend. Wedding bells. Producing clones of himself. Wow! Well, his real fans - his ‘family’ would certainly be unstinting in their generosity and support; they would encourage him and cheer him on. As long as the lucky lady truly loves him and gives him happiness, and vice-versa.






















COVER
SUPERSTAR


THE STAR MAGAZINE
INTERVIEW

PART 1

TRANSLATION
































Q

So, your new photobook ‘Lee Joon-Gi in Okinawa’ is coming out in late February.

What have you been doing since your trips to Okinawa last autumn and winter?



JG


As soon as I came back I thought I should do something to recharge my energy. I’ve wanted to come back to my fans and to the public eye with a new project as soon as possible, and I hope to bring positive energy to the set when I’m given the opportunity.

In choosing my next project I’ve been constantly reading myriads of scripts.

I also started working out; I tried different kinds of physical activities but I soon lost interest.

Then, recently, I quickly fell in love with a martial art - as my fans already know - called Jiu Jitsu.

Following my photoshoot in Okinawa, I thought of just enjoying scuba diving or other leisure activities, but I decided to improve my physical fitness. As I get older, I become more anxious about not being able to stay as fit as I was before.











Doing mental training through golf or bowling to focus on myself would have been a good idea, too.

However, through Jiu Jitsu, I get to concentrate on every single movement that my opponent and I make and learn some lessons while making body contact with different people. And by showing courtesy, the most essential tenet of any martial art, and doing sparring, I also get to reflect on the basic things about who I am and learn humility. Then I feel like I am achieving some sort of inner growth.

I tend to get lonely easily, worry about little things and feel depressed, but Jiu Jitsu really helps me overcome these tendencies. It’s like I just stepped into a whole new world. So, I practice Jiu Jitsu every single day.



Q

Was there any particularly unforgettable moment during your photoshoot in Okinawa, which you worked on with ‘The Star’ and a Japanese TV channel?


JG

Every moment of it was unforgettable. I’m thankful to all the producers, crew members, and reporters for having a wonderful time with me.

I am not the kind of person who deliberately takes time off for leisure activities; not for trips, either. That’s why, even though this trip might be nothing out of the ordinary for some people, for me, it was full of things to see and feelings that I would never forget.

The most unforgettable part of the trip was, I’d say, scuba diving. I’m a good swimmer, but, diving deep into the ocean is like entering an unknown world. I experienced a vague sense of fear; since it was my first time doing it, I was nervous and anxious. But also, I was greatly excited to get a glimpse of this new world.

After some training, the moment I jumped into the ocean, I found myself heading towards the new world.

As my diving instructor had said, I thought ‘This is the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience the wonders of the universe on earth.’ You have this feeling that everything is so free and happy… I still can’t forget the excitement I felt when I encountered the new world. It turned out, I dove to almost 10 meters.

I was later told that only few beginners could adapt so quickly to diving. Perhaps I had long had thirst for such freedom. It was truly a mysterious yet happy experience.



Q

By the way, how did you spend your year-end holidays?


JG

Actually, I took a secret year-end trip to Tokyo, Japan, with my little sister and my manager.

After I got back from my photoshoot trip to Okinawa, I decided to travel more (laughs). I didn’t travel alone, though. The three of us spent the entire trip walking around like normal people.

We went to Disneyland and walked around downtown Tokyo all day.

One of the unforgettable moments was when we did Real-Life Mario Go-karting, a sort of tourist attraction there. We raced through the heart of the city, exchanged greetings with the locals, and kept on racing – it was really super fun.  Of course, I disguised myself perfectly in Mario costume and made people laugh by showing various reactions. Even some of those who knew me couldn’t recognize me at all.

During the trip, I walked about 20,000 steps each day, so you can guess how hectic it was, can’t you (laughs)? Well, it was certainly exhausting, but I had such a wonderful time.

From now on, I won’t worry so much as I did before, but I will enjoy my ordinary days, make some plans, etc. As my fans know well, I have put a lot of self-imposed restrictions on myself, but I am gradually freeing myself from them. At least I am working on it.




















COVER
SUPERSTAR


THE STAR MAGAZINE
INTERVIEW

PART 2


TRANSLATION















Q

This winter, it’s been extremely cold. How did you cope with it?


JG

Is there such a thing as coping with the cold at all? (Laughs).

The best way to do is, I guess, bundle up and stay as warm as possible. If it’s really too cold, it’s just best to stay home. When you’re outside, then you should find the most efficient way to get around so you can move quickly from place to place indoors.

I love samgyetang as a nourishing food; during cold snaps I’d keep myself warm by eating samgyetang, yukgaejang, and kimchijjigae. (Laughs)

But above all, since I started working out last winter, I sweated buckets when it was coldest.


Q

It’s a bit late to ask now, but what are your plans for 2018?


JG

First of all, I just constantly read tons of scripts that came my way right after I’d finished the drama (Criminal Minds) because I didn’t think my work lived up to viewers’ expectations last year. I really looked through a lot of scripts and considered many offers and eventually chose the project that I found to be most interesting.

I received a lot of love for my work on ‘Time Between Dog and Wolf’ and I am going to work once again with director Kim Jin-min. We are both feeling so much pressure now because, what if we don’t follow up our previous success with better work? (Laughs).

The writer I’m going to work with has received recognition for his great writing in both movies and dramas, so I am confident it’s going to turn out well.

Only God knows whether a drama will be a success or not, but as the leading actor of the project I’ve chosen, I should do everything in my power to utilize my abilities in the best possible way.

I’m happy to work with all kinds of people on a new drama set.

I am also looking for opportunities to start anew in the film business, from which I’ve been away for a long time. But because I’ve been away from the movie business for a long time, it’s not been easy for me to find the right opportunity.

Also, this year, while continually working on my new projects, I am going to plan a fan meeting tour as well.

Last year, I took a break from touring because I thought I failed to satisfy fans with my work. I wanted to do (fan meeting tour) when we could all have fun and be happy.

For me, hanging out with my fans is the time when I recharge myself and get a lot of energy from them. It’s the time when I can come up with numerous ideas and tap into my own creativity. A lot of fans were disappointed (that the fan meeting did not happen) but this year, I will do my best to get ready to meet my family both at home and abroad.


Q

So, you’ve finally chosen your new project!

What are the criteria Lee Joon-gi considers most important when choosing a new project?


JG

It’s always a dilemma because many fans want Lee Joon-gi to star in a romantic comedy or romantic drama. (Laughs)

That’s why working in that genre has been high on my priority list, but I haven’t been offered that many opportunities in the romantic comedy or romantic drama genre. But when the right project comes along, I am very eager to show that I can pull off (romantic comedy / romance).

For me, the top criteria for choosing a project:

First, it should be interesting and fun.

Second, how much it’ll resonate with viewers and whether or not it’ll make them happy.

But when you look at things only from that big-picture perspective, you end up missing small details and making a lot of mistakes. It does not concern just me, but it also concerns many other actors and crew members. So instead of holding someone responsible, I think I should step up myself and take some more initiative.

To be honest, last year, I was under such huge pressure and stressed out that I asked myself, ‘Am I living my life, right?’ ‘Am I a good actor?’

But as the old saying goes, after the storm comes the sunshine. So, I’ve decided to live my life as an actor with more determination and more flexibility. It won’t be easy, of course.


































COVER
SUPERSTAR


THE STAR MAGAZINE
INTERVIEW

PART 3


TRANSLATION















Q

You’re widely regarded as a person of exemplary character (*the Korean word ‘inseong’ means character or personality) within the entertainment industry.

You have received high praise from fellow actors and crew members who have worked with you on dramas.


JG

As the leading actor in the dramas I chose to do, I am only grateful to all those who have given me such opportunities (to work with them). All I did was just express my gratitude, try to be more thoughtful, and put it into action, so I feel embarrassed when they give more praise than I deserve.

Sometimes I feel like maybe I am not so good at staying focused at work as an actor (laughs).

The drama sets have always been places where so many people bring their passion and commitment to produce a great outpouring of energy, and they are like a playground to me as actor Lee Joon-gi. I just want to create valuable memories with friends I work, and will work, with.

In fact, we still have a lot to deal with as well as hectic schedules on drama sets.

But as long as I, as an actor, can help others feel less stressed out and have more fun on set, then it’s me who should be grateful.


Q

Spring’s already begun. How are you feeling as we welcome spring?


JG

Just the thought of another warm spring coming makes me feel like, wow time really flies (laughs).

When spring comes with blooming flowers, I get a sense of anticipation that I will evolve into a better version of myself.

I’ve had a great rest during the winter.  I think I want to bring warmth and bright, shining energy to the world.


Q

They say that women usually experience mood shifts in spring and men in autumn; in what season do you experience mood changes?


JG

I don’t think spring affects my mood.

On the other hand, I feel a bit lonely when winter comes.

In the spring I get excited. Like many others, I prefer spring and autumn (laughs).


Q

How would you rate your happiness nowadays?


JG

I am trying to increase my happiness score.

Until recently, it wasn’t so high. Well, if I go into detail, I’d worry my family (*I think by ‘family’ he means fans).

But I can definitely say ‘I am trying to be happy.’ This year I am determined to increase my happiness score. That way, I think I can fill other people with happiness as actor Lee Joon-gi because actors are supposed to deliver happiness to others.


Q

What is your typical day like?


JG

As I said, I am into Jiu Jitsu nowadays.

Other than that, I read scripts or watch a lot of movies.

Also, I’ve been spending more time hanging out and having drinks with people I know.

But I started to wonder if I surrounded myself with invisible walls while having conversations with others. So, I decided to open up and listen more. I want to broaden my horizons.


Q

So, your latest obsession is, of course, Jiu Jitsu? (laughs)


JG

Yes! Of course, Jiu Jitsu (laughs).

And I’m also preparing for my next project.

I am thinking of doing several other things. What should I do next (laughs)?


Q

Can you tell us the things you love most?


JG

People who are with me now. People who keep their eyes on me. I love everything that I have. I should, and I am trying hard to love them more.

I’ve been looking back at the many things that have been in my life, wondering whether I only thought about myself. I guess this is what getting older is like.


Q

Lastly, is there anything you want to tell your fans?


JG

Thank you for always staying by my side through the good and bad, happy and sad.

As I have always promised, I will do everything in my power to work hard and live diligently.

I definitely want to return the favor and show my gratitude.

Even when the day comes, when we all become happier, I will look ahead and get prepared for our next step forward.

So, I would like you to have a little more faith in me and always stay with me. I am always thankful and want all of us to be happy so that we can be together for a long, long time.

I will always wish you happiness.

Hopefully, ‘I’ can be the person who gives you that happiness.

Please look forward to my new project and more projects to come. Thank you always!


















SUPERSTAR
POWER








The results of his photoshoot, as usual, are intoxicating. Every detail about Lee Joon Gi is gorgeous. Powerful. As can be seen, there are many memorable moments.