Friday 8 January 2021

Lee Joon Gi and The Marisol and MNET Interview

 


LEE JOON GI

 

AND

 

THE

MARISOL

AND

MNET

INTERVIEW

 








 

 

 

https://allaboutjoongi.tumblr.com/post/639287258564919296/lee-joon-gis-interview-with-marisol-20210101

 

 

Marisol and Mnet recently interviewed Lee Joon Gi: the interview was for the January 2021 issue of Marisol, a Japanese women’s magazine, and also for Mnet to ramp up interest and excitement for the Flower of Evil broadcast in Japan which premiered on 3 January 2021.





Mnet (acronym of Music Network) is a South Korean pay television music channel owned by CJ E&M, a division of CJ ENM, part of CJ Group.

 

 


https://marisol.hpplus.jp/article/63336/01/



 

https://marisol.hpplus.jp/culture/korean

 

 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJkh5f0Jm60/


 

Lee Joon Gi has been receiving global recognition and accolades for his awesome performance in Flower of Evil, his unique 2020 TVN suspense-melodrama. Having outshone the stars of other dramas in 2020, Lee is a popular choice for local and foreign interviews.

 





Fans who have grown up with Lee Joon Gi would remember him for his gorgeous androgenous looks in the blockbuster movie, ‘The King and The Clown’ in 2005. The label, ‘a man who is more beautiful than a woman’ has been bandied about since he starred in that life-changing movie. It was 15 years ago when he was 25 years old.

 

 



 


Lee Joon Gi, who is known as The Actor with A Thousand Faces, was able to give a creditable portrayal of Gong-gil, the effeminate Joseon clown. His impressive performance made such a tremendous impact on the audience that the movie became a blockbuster and Lee was launched into international fame and popularity.

 





According to Wikipedia, ‘In South Korea, the film sold a total of 12.3 million tickets, including 3,659,525 in Seoul, in its four months of screening, which ended on 18 April 2006. It ranked first and grossed ₩6.5 billion in its first week of release and grossed a total of ₩72.6 billion after 12 weeks of screening. Its worldwide grossed is US$74.4 million.’

 

Lee also made an indelible mark on the global movie world when he debuted in the 2017 Hollywood movie, Resident Evil: The Final Chapter. The movie was a world-wide success; in Asia where he has legions of passionate fans, the movie was a mind-blowing triumph.

 

 


 

 


Lee Joon Gi’s many hit dramas won him innumerable local and international awards. Some of his memorable dramas include, Time between Dog and Wolf, Iljimae, Arang and The Magistrate, Two Weeks, The Joseon Gunman, The Scholar Who Walks The Night, Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo, Criminal Minds Korea and Lawless Lawyer.

 

 


 

 


Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo made quite a considerable impact globally and his fandom further expanded.

 

 

 

 



Known also as ‘The Prince of Asia’, Lee Joon Gi has the unwavering support from his fans in East Asia and Southeast Asia, where there is much fanfare wherever he goes. 


However, the increasing number of admirers has fanned out in all directions all over the globe, swelling its ranks. He has been receiving a lot of passionate support from his fans worldwide.







The prepotent multihyphenate superstar has won the approval of multitudes of global viewers yet again with his incredible performance in TVN’s 2020 Flower of Evil.

 


 

 


 

Directed by international award-winning director, Kim Cheol Kyu and scripted by Yoo Jung Hee, Flower of Evil stars Lee Joon Gi, who portrays Do Hyun Soo; Moon Chae Won, his leading lady; Jang Hee Jin, Seo Hyun Woo and Kim Ji Hoon.

 



 


 

 

 

 

https://mnetjp.com/

 

 

 



 

 

 

 

LEE JOON GI

 

THE MARISOL

AND

MNET

INTERVIEW

01.01.2021

 


 

 

English Translation: 

Source:  https://marisol.hpplus.jp/article/63336/01/


https://allaboutjoongi.tumblr.com/post/639287258564919296/lee-joon-gis-interview-with-marisol-20210101

 


 

Q1

 

Can you tell us about the role you play in Flower of Evil, Baek Hee Seong?

 

 

A

 

I play Do Hyun Soo who lives as Baek Hee Seong. In the past 14 years, he has concealed his cruel past, lived under a false identity, made a family of his own to live a new life, deceived his loving wife, and pretended to love her.

 

I was hoping that you (viewers) would also feel all kinds of emotions while watching Do Hyun Soo’s story, such as tension and thrill, throughout all the 16 episodes. That is what I focused on when I played this role.

 

 

Q2

 

Why did you choose to star in this drama?

 


A

 

It was not an easy decision to make. Because initially I thought I was not suited for this character, and that in depicting this character’s story – whether in real life or in terms of my acting career – I was probably too young to play such a character with so much depth. (Laughs)

 

So, I thought long and hard about it and felt under a lot of pressure. Of course, it was the director and the production team who offered me the role first, but I really thought very hard about it.

 

Many people around me tried to persuade me to take it, saying that it would be a new challenge for me and another turning point in my acting career.

 

Moon Chae Won also suggested I do it, cheering me on: That this character, Do Hyun Soo, was the center of this drama, and it might be difficult to play; but this was a role that Lee Joon Gi could do, and it would be an opportunity for me to broaden my range as an actor.

 

Since so many people around me said things like that to me, I thought very hard about those things, read the script over and over, and studied it for a long time.

 

Then it occurred to me that this was a very unique drama and it was so amazing how it had two conflicting values – thriller and romance – in it. So, I thought, ‘This is a challenge and it will help me grow further.’ 


I consider this a challenge I took on in my career as an actor. It was a challenge rather than a choice.

 

 

Q3

 

Of the scenes and lines you performed, can you tell us about one that you find particularly memorable?

 

 

A

 

Each and every scene was not easy as they all lead to the story that comes later. It is very difficult to choose one particular scene.

 

Each episode has some great scenes. All of those scenes were necessary to trace the life of Do Hyun Soo.

 

However, if I had to choose one, it would be the scene where the emotions of Do Hyun Soo, who cannot feel anything, are released for the first time. I worried a lot about how to express that kind of emotional release, which comes from the desperation of not wanting to lose what he values most when he is forced into this extreme situation.

 

I thought, if not done properly, that scene would not be convincing. I also thought, to viewers, that emotional release might seem so sudden especially after following so closely the emotions and situations of Do Hyun Soo all along. It could have made all the relationships [Hyun Soo has with other characters] fall to pieces, throw the drama off balance, and even cause what Do Hyun Soo pictured [in his mind] to fall apart.

 

In that sense, the scene where Hyunsoo bursts out crying for the first time in front of Jiwon was very difficult, but I think many viewers also felt his sadness and found it heartbreaking.

 

This is a scene where Hyunsoo lets out all the emotions he’s feeling in front of Jiwon, and it is precisely because of this scene that Jiwon once again begins to trust Do Hyun Soo, the husband she so loves.

 

It was difficult throughout starting with the rehearsal, and we constantly made changes, but the director continued to come up with ideas and I discussed with him what I had prepared. We put a lot of thought into that scene.

 

Thankfully, viewers also felt sad while watching it, so I find that scene memorable.

 

 

Q4

 

In the drama, you performed the duality of your character with delicacy.

 

Do you feel that you, Lee Joon Gi, have two sides?

 

 

A

 

I think everyone has two sides.

 

In this day and age, though, doesn’t everyone live a life where they hide themselves while always thinking about how they look to the world? I do think everyone lives this way, hiding themselves…

 

Of course, I also have two sides to me. I think I am more careful and hesitant than I may look to others out there; sometimes I can be a bit calculating and living with my own thoughts.

 

Then when I come back to ‘Lee Joon Gi’ as I originally am, I think there is quite a deep side of me. As I get older these days, I have started asking myself, “What should I do to live in balance?” Isn’t it something everyone has on their mind?

 

I think many people put on an act to a degree, just as Hyunsoo does.

 

When you think about it, we live in an age where we cannot live expressing all our emotions, don’t we?

 

 

Q5

 

In Japan, we have this term “イクメン” * ikumen = a man who actively takes pleasure in childcare.

 

source: https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20181127-ikumen-how-japans-hunky-dads-are-changing-parenting 

 

In the drama, there are ordinary scenes where you do housework and childcare.

 

You performed those scenes very naturally and so perfectly. But do you enjoy housework in real life?

 

 

A

 

Well, I lived alone for a long time after I’d left home at the age of 19 (laughs).

 

I mean, I am interested in everything [about housework] but now I live with my sibling [little sister] so she does the housework and she does it very well. I don’t really do as much housework as I used to, but in the past, I especially loved cooking and making stuff for myself.

 

Back in the military – and I was famous for this – I remember keeping things clean. If I get to have a family of my own, I will gladly take pleasure in childcare, cooking, and cleaning.

 

 

Q6

 

It seems there are many people around the world who can’t go out as much as they want but spend more time at home due to Covid-19.

 

Is there anything you have recently started because of the time we live in now?  

 

 

A

 

Before [Covid-19] I had started and practiced jiu jitsu consistently for over 2 years. However, I had to stop all that because of Covid-19. Now it’s a time when I have to be careful about everything.

 

I used to go to the gym regularly even during filming, but this year, I had no choice but to concentrate only on filming. Because, as a leading actor, I did not want to risk causing harm to anyone. So this year, I would say I stopped [jiu jitsu] for a while, rather than losing my hobby.

 

Instead, I have started walking. I was very worried that if I did not train my body this way, I would get [easily] tired when I do something. Before I had started jiu jitsu, I’d loved walking anyway, so I started walking again. I started walking at the Han River, following all the infection prevention guidelines and putting on a thick mask. So when I went for a walk like this for the first time in a long time, it felt refreshing.

 

I walk the same long trail I had taken before, and it is not just for exercising, but I enjoy walking while listening to music without thinking about anything, or while thinking about various things. I think walking around like that, completely free from any thoughts at all, ultimately helps refresh myself.

 

I think life is similar to walking, so every time I go for a walk, I feel like I get to look back on my life, and I think that’s good.

 

In every aspect, many people, not just me, are living restricted lives these days, but I hope that we all get through this and I suggest we do it by trying simple things, one by one, just as I do – so we can stay healthy both physically and mentally.  

 

 

Q7

 

What kind of genre and role do you want to try in the future?

 


A

 

So far, I have done a lot of genre (-specific) works, like action and romance.

 

You know, most Korean dramas have romance in them, and they always have romance aspects to them, don’t they? (laughs) Many of those fans who love me often tell me they want to see me in a romance, but hey, I have not done a single project that does not have romance in it.

 

It is just that many of my works fall under the genres of action and thriller, but I think they all have romantic aspects to them…

 

But after finishing this drama [Flower of Evil], I did feel like I had done a romantic drama (melodrama) I had been avoiding before.

 

I think it blends thriller and romance harmoniously, and once again made me think a lot about what love is. I have always been interested in stories about love, and I have always thought I want to express a love between man and woman, the most basic kind of love.

 

If I can, I want to do a project that focuses on a love between man and woman. But even now, a lot of people think of ‘Lee Joon Gi’ when it comes to action, so I still get a lot of offers in that genre [action].

 

To directors [specializing] in the romance genre, please keep me in mind (laughs).

 

Or else, I want to play a role where I let go of anything that’s weighing me down… I want to do a role where I get to express myself freely. Without being tied to a specific genre.

 

I think this drama [Flower of Evil] made me desire such things.

 

 

Q8

 

Lastly, is there any message you want to send to your Japanese fans who are about to watch Flower of Evil?

 

 

A

 

In Korea, the drama received so much love from many fans and viewers, and I am so grateful.

 

From the production team to the director, the writer, all the other staff, and the actors I worked with – everyone did their best and worked so hard on this, and it turned out to be a great drama. Guys, I am so happy you guys love the passion that went into this.

 

I hope many watch Flower of Evil. Don’t miss it! I think that Covid-19 has been very hard on the fans in Japan as well. But health always comes first! I pray that we all follow the infection prevention guidelines, stay healthy, and get to meet one another very soon. Please stay healthy, and always stay happy.


Thank you very much. [In Japanese] “See you again.”