Sunday 5 August 2018

Elle Men Hong Kong: Lee Joon Gi - The Legendary Hero




LEE JOON GI

THE 
LEGENDARY 
HERO

ELLE MEN HK


















LEE JOON GI

THE LEGENDARY HERO

ELLE MEN HK










Elle Men Hong Kong, a fashion opinion leader in Asia particularly China, has reeled in Lee Joon Gi, the sexy and handsome Korean superstar celebrity, to illuminate the cover of their August 2018 issue. Nothing on the cover featuring Lee Joon Gi escapes the readers’ eyes, especially the prominent words streaking across it. The bold but apt sobriquet ‘The Legendary Hero’ resonates with worldwide drama viewers and fans. The architect of the sobriquet has eloquently reinforced the well-known fact that Lee Joon Gi, the famous Asian superstar, is a hero who is very much admired and respected by men and women all over the world. It is unsurprising that Elle Men HK has decided to pay homage to Lee Joon Gi in the magazine.

The life of the handsome and charismatic Lee Joon Gi is legendary, it is the stuff that interesting dramas are made of. The legendary hero, Lee Joon Gi, has gone through the many vicissitudes of life during his 17 years in the showbusiness industry but he has emerged from his difficult experiences as an all-achieving hero.






Candy In My Ears






Joongi’s Day 2017







Lee Joon Gi’s numerous talents, charms, diligence, steely determination and uncanny ability to turn his misfortunes into triumphs make him a legendary hero in the eyes of viewers and his legions of fans. Having amassed followers in their millions since the success of his movie The King And The Clown, Lee has continued to draw respect and admiration, especially after the global success of his historical drama, Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo and his North American movie Resident Evil: The Final Chapter. Lee has even caught the attention of influential people outside the industry.

Interestingly, the multi-talented Lee Joon Gi has also played many legendary heroes including Park Yoon Kang, the Joseon Shooter; Kim Sung Yeol, the scholar-vampire; Wang So, the Goryeon Prince; Kim Hyun Joon, the profiler and quite recently, a modern legal hero, Bong Sang Pil in Lawless Lawyer. Those heroes that Lee Joon Gi has played are unforgettable and will live on forever in the minds of viewers because of Lee's electrifying performance and commanding and powerful presence on the screen.








(fr L) The Hero: Park Yoon Kang in The Joseon Shooter
The Hero: Kim Sung Yeol in The Scholar Who Walks The Night  
The Hero: Kim Hyun Joon in Criminal Minds Korea






The Hero: Prince Wang So
Moon Lovers-Scarlet Heart Ryeo


Prince Wang So in Moon Lovers-Scarlet Heart Ryeo










The Hero: Bong Sang Pil in Lawless Lawyer



The Hero: Bong Sang Pil in Lawless Lawyer



The Hero: Bong Sang Pil in Lawless Lawyer



The Hero: Bong Sang Pil in Lawless Lawyer






Lee Joon Gi, the leading actor and unquestionably the star of the drama Lawless Lawyer, has superb style. Unsurprisingly, the handsome and young-looking actor, according to Showbiz Korea, has been voted ‘The Actor Who Looks The Most Gorgeous In Suits’ for his impeccable and dashing looks in Lawless Lawyer. Lee’s stunning performance and his dazzling looks in various suit styles have won him the praise and admiration of enthusiastic viewers. 

The drama has been broadcast in the US, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, The Philippines and is due to air in Japan in August.







The Hero: Bong Sang Pil in Lawless Lawyer






Lee Joon Gi, who has a wholesome personality, is a ‘super model’ and is the obvious choice for the task of showcasing menswear of famous designers or fashion houses. It is not a secret that the fashionable high-end clothes and shoe wear that Lee Joon Gi showcases in the Elle Men Hong Kong photoshoot are from the autumn-winter collection of the powerful Italian House of Fendi. Karl Lagerfeld, the famous German designer who joined the House in 1965, is still closely associated with Fendi.






The Hero: Bong Sang Pil in Lawless Lawyer















LEE JOON GI

THE LEGENDARY HERO


ELLE MEN HK










The melange of stunning pictures shows why the lean, sexy and athletic Lee Joon Gi fits the young and fashionable image of Fendi’s autumn-winter 2018 menswear collection. Lee is the perfect model for the fashion powerhouse.

The cover photograph is staggering. Elle Men HK has decided to have Lee Joon Gi on a slant. Lee leans to the left but his right leg stretches out to the right. Even the print ‘The Legendary Hero’ slants with him. Lee’s magic touch is apparent in the mesmerising way that he poses.

The screen heartthrob wears a yellow knitted round-neck sweater with the half-hidden word ‘Fabulous’ stamped across the chest. 

He teams it with a dazzling beige shearling and suede jacket. Two bands of the Fendi F logo are emblazoned diagonally across the jacket and the sleeves. Another two pairs of black and brown bands are sewn next to them.









The fashion savvy Lee Joon Gi cleverly shows the two-toned reversible suede side of the two-in-one jacket. Light brown and dark brown.

He wears a pair of grey slim fit jersey sweat pants with a logo side band.

A pair of yellow and black running sneakers completes the young and stylish look.

Lee Joon Gi certainly looks FABULOUS in his stylish ensemble.

Although Elle Men HK’s photoshoot is held indoors, the predominant use of warmth colours mimicks those of autumn – yellow, orange, brown and red. The grey shades are those of winter.

The place, probably an art studio or factory workshop, is spartan. There are no trees or fields to give it a rustic look but surprisingly, there is a hint of rusticity about it.





Lee Joon Gi: hot and seductive





The rustic wood and metal bar stool that Lee Joon Gi is sitting on is inspired by a late nineteenth century bar stool that was taken from a factory in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 

The wooden seating platform of the swivel stool has a huge metal corkscrew which can be adjusted to different heights.










The plywood wall backdrop gives the picture a rustic charm. The thin translucent polycarbonate wall shows a stark contrast with the wooden wall.

The lines of the ‘natural’ wall and the ‘artificial’ wall meet, bringing Lee Joon Gi into sharp focus.








LEE JOON GI

THE LEGENDARY HERO
IN
LAWLESS LAWYER










The artistic composition of this shot catches the eyes. Lee Joon Gi wears Fendi’s patterned suit comprising a grey wool jacket and a pair of trousers which feature pink and grey houndstooth checks. The trousers has front pleats. The image of the houndstooth check is a fierce one, signifying power.

The jacket and trousers are matched with a light pink long-sleeved shirt with dark pink and navy blue horizontal and diagonal stripes. The unbuttoned shirt gives the readers a titillating peek at Lee’s chest. Sexy.










The jacket has a stylish laminated or plastic patch on the left shoulder but the patch on the right shoulder seems to stretch down to the chest. Had it not been for the sheen of the plastic, one would have overlooked the lamination.

Elle Men HK bends fashion rules by blending the formal with the casual. Half of the front shirt tail is not tucked in, giving Lee Joon Gi a certain air that is unmistakably hot and sexy. In fact, Lee looks incredibly stunning.

Thanks to Lee Joon Gi’s inexplicable appeal and modelling versatility, his charm seems all-pervasive.

But wait, it’s not finished yet. The shot seems to take on the aura of a work of art. One notices the sheer brilliance and creativity of the photography - the play of light and shadows.










A stream of light falls on Lee Joon Gi’s handsome features. When his shadow falls on the plywood wall, it creates the illusion of a dark profile of a man with a pointy nose.

Elle Men HK has put a spin on this dramatic shot with the play of light and shadows. The creative team had probably looked to Lee Joon Gi’s latest drama for inspiration. A startling image, with a narrative photo story, has been constructed.

The shot refers to Lee Joon Gi’s powerful and masterly performance as Bong Sang Pil in Lawless Lawyer.

It is a brilliant evocation of the duality of Bong Sang Pil’s character. The shot contrasts vengeance with justice. The image of Lee Joon Gi in a suit represents Bong Sang Pil, a smart and shrewd lawyer who seeks justice. Bong is constantly dressed in different styles of suits. The off-beat and intriguing shadow on the wall represents the dark, vengeful side that lurks in Bong Sang Pil’s heart. Bong is bent on revenge against those who have ruined his life.

With the skilful manipulation of the camera lens by the photographer, Bong Sang Pil, the legendary hero has surfaced in this Elle Men HK shot.









This distinctive ElleMenHK shot, blending photography, fashion, art, style and storytelling, is certainly the product of ‘Thinking Outside The Box’. Well, this is fashion storytelling at its best. Illuminating and revealing.





Source
LJG Lawless Lawyer Suits







LEE JOON GI

THE LEGENDARY HERO

ELLE MEN HK










In this shot, Lee wears a colourful, long, woollen jacket which has 4 diagonal bands: houndstooth check, dark grey, the F logo and light grey.

The jacket is worn with a marigold check sweater and teamed with a pair of grey trousers and a pair of shiny navy blue shoes.










Seated on a tan settee, Lee Joon Gi has effortlessly brought out the style and beauty of the ensemble. His masculine pose and come-hither look make the menswear even more appealing. That’s stating the obvious.














LEE JOON GI

ELLE MEN HK 

BTS VIDEO


















The style icon Lee Joon Gi’s many talents, effortless charm and modelling versatility have elevated him to an unofficial supermodel status and brought him to the forefront in fashion and advertisement modelling. It goes without saying that the talent of the Elle Men HK editorial team has reinforced his image. The men’s fashion magazine team have certainly marked their territory in the fashion world with their fashion taste, imagination, creativity and originality.







Lee Joon Gi’s killer smile

















LEE JOON GI

ELLE MEN HONGKONG
INTERVIEW



Translated by






 






ED



Lawless Lawyer has just finished airing, and it has received good ratings and viewer recognition. The ratings have broken a new record.

The drama has took Lee Joon Gi who took on the role Bong Sang Pil on a special journey too.




LJG



To many fans, this is my comeback project after 'Time between Dog and Wolf', so this has become a hot topic. Before the drama aired, I knew that a lot of my fans were anticipating a lot, and their anticipation has been reflected on the ratings.

To be honest, this is my second time working together with Director Kim Jin Min, compared the previous work, we were worried that the ratings couldn't do better for this one. We were very worried about it before beginning, but after we start working together, we supported each other and acted till the end without any worries.

The atmosphere of the set was good, on normal times we were fine too. 

The director is a very good and charismatic leader. And he is a very skilled director. He has also discovered a new strength in me, so I'm very thankful toward him.

Also, working together with senior Choi Min Soo and Lee Hye Young, regardless in acting, expressions, or carving out the character, I've gained a lot from them. And I've also learnt a lot about law. Especially senior Choi Min Soo, he is one of the top actors, he has grasped his character so well that he was able to lead the whole drama. For my role as Bong Sang Pil, to be able to make him more outstanding, senior Choi Min Soo has helped me out a lot. I have benefitted so much."




ED


As an actor, some people are more suited for modern dramas, and some are better in traditional dramas, but Lee Joon Gi is definitely great in both. He is born for this.




LJG



I used to like traditional dramas more in the past, but now after acting in several modern dramas, I've begun to like both. Of course, the characters and background in modern dramas are more relatable to viewers, and this could let them relate to them more. On contrary, traditional dramas have beautiful cinematography, very classic and old style, and a lot of space for imagination makes viewers feel mysterious.

I know a lot of fans like my style in traditional dramas, personally, I have to mention about Moon Lovers, my role as Wang So.

I really like my role as Yong in iljimae in the beginning, and my role as Gong Gil in The King and The Clown has meant a lot to me.

For me, I'm not sure if I can surpass my role as Gong Gil doing traditional dramas in the future, he had very little lines, so it was difficult to only express his emotions with only my expressions. But I was fortunate to be able to receive so much love from the viewers. He has to be my favorite character now.

Actually, every role felt special to me, even if the viewers didn't like it, I did my best.

I would say that Yong's personality in iljimae is most similar to mine, he looks cheerful and loves to joke on the outside, but he has a lot of targets to aim for and many worries. That is very much like me.

As for the character Bong Sang Pil, there's a part of me in him too.




ED


From debut till now, Lee Joon Gi shows both his pretty and his manly image in all of his works. To Lee Joon Gi, this is a double-edged sword.




LJG



 For me, of course I like my manly image more. That's why I really like action scenes, and I really hope to show this side of me to everyone more.

Compared to attracting people with my body and figure, I'm more toward showing my skills. I've learnt martial arts from young, and still love practicing it. 

Personally, I like both.

But as I age, everyone still likes me, I'm really thankful to my parents, who gave me so many charms.




ED


Lee Joon Gi's years of experience, compared to other actors, he has more experience than others internationally. For example, the movie with Korea, Virgin Snow, China's Never Said Goodbye, Hollywood's Resident Evil.




LJG



I used to work with Jackie Chan in Hong Kong, we meet each other frequently, our relationship is not bad in the past.

If I meet a good script, and have a good chance, I would like to appear in an overseas work again.

But I didn't have the chance to, so I feel very apologetic to the fans in Hong Kong, I can only meet them through fan meetings for now. I came here in Hong Kong before, I had a good impression with Hong Kong.

I did say in an interview before, I used to watch Hong Kong movies when I was young and grew up watching them, and when I end up appearing in a Hong Kong movie, it felt mystical.




ED


Other than being an actor, Lee Joon Gi is also a singer. He has released Korean and Japanese albums, 8 in total, which is more than even some professional singers.

His fan meeting performance, everyone is saying that it doesn't feel like a fan meet, but more like a concert.




LJG



This is a strength that belongs to me. I may not be as good as a singer, but my fans gave me strength singing in front of them, their positive response became my motivation on stage.

Although I'm not as good as a real singer, but with everyone's support, I will keep singing.




ED


His official debut was in year 2005, in the movie The King and The Clown.

For 13 years now, Lee Joon Gi has never regretted.




LJG



I've had met a lot of difficulties after debuting, but I thought that I needed these difficulties to get better.

Every role is precious to me. As an actor, living with different identities and different lives, and enjoying the things where I don't get to enjoy in real life, to be able to experience and try them, acting has already become a part of me, a part of my life.

Meeting something much greater than one is and becoming stronger, is a good trait of being a successful actor.




ED


Lee Joon Gi who was born in Busan, Korea, his personality is different from his appearance.




LJG



Actually, I used to be more rough, but after coming to Seoul, I've changed. As an actor, other than being rough, I needed to be gentle.

Unknowingly, I've turned 30 years old, till now, I don't really believe this fact. I still feel like I'm in my 20s, haha. But many people are telling me I don't look like in my 30s, even my sister. We have always been praised for having baby face.

Maybe I'm a little shameless, but the truth is, all of these is thanks to our parents, they gave me everything.




ED


His appearance is natural, but regarding charms and wisdom, he has a clear definition of it.




LJG



I think that the most charming man, has to be one with responsibility, and passionate. A man who can maintain these two is a good man. It's not easy, and I've been aiming for these.

I've debuted for 13 years, sometimes I'm less passionate, so I kept reminding myself and fill up my passion again.
For this, even in life, family, of course some people will prefer outer appearance, but I think that responsibility is the greatest charm. 

I'm always reminding myself that, with that being said, I guess I'm a charming man too, right? (laughs)

Of course, I have a charming point on my appearance, my eyes. When acting, the eyes is the part that can express emotions the most, these days, the viewers, senior Choi Min Soo, all complimented my eyes.




ED


For sure, when everyone sees the pictures on this edition, will see Lee Joon Gi's charming eyes.




LJG



I'm very satisfied with my life now, but I've always asked myself, am I happy now? If I think that the present is most blissful, then it sounds a little delusional.

But my job can bring people some kind of happiness, I feel happy sometimes. 

These days, I have so many things that I've expected to happen and it really did, I'm really very satisfied and thankful. For example, I've started learning martial arts again, each time, when I sweat, bath and drink beer, I also have this feeling of "I'm really blissful".




LJG



After Lawless Lawyer, I'm starting to look at scripts again, I hope by the end of this year, or the beginning of next year, I will be able to meet everyone with a new piece again. But before that, I hope to meet everyone at different places more.




ED


Half glass full, is it only half left, or a fortunate thing that there's another half glass of water left? Or something else, find a smaller glass and fill it up to make it a full glass, and make oneself feel good? Happiness is just about seeing things from different perspectives, do you already have it, or do you lack it?

Lee Joon Gi tells us, he cherishes everything he has, and looks forward to whatever comes to him next. 




ED – Editor
LJG – Lee Joon Gi


Updated
10 August 2018



Translated by