Sunday 6 May 2018

Marie Claire: Bong Sang Pil And Ha Jae Yi - The Other Half





MARIE CLAIRE


BONG SANG PIL
AND
HA JAE YI

THE OTHER HALF















MARIE CLAIRE


THE OTHER HALF

BONG SANG PIL
AND
HA JAE YI




Lee Joon Gi: Mesmerising Eyes



















Jaw-dropping animation. Bong Sang Pil and Ha Jae Yi.

Seo Yea Ji’s face remains still. Lee Joon Gi raises his face to meet hers. It is stupendous. It is a perfect fit. ‘The Other Half’ comes to mind. A match made in heaven.

The beginning of Marie Claire’s video makes such a tremendous impact on the viewer. Mesmerising. An unusual and wildly imaginative concept. One couldn’t imagine how Marie Claire’s creative team came up with the concept of merging Bong Sang Pil (Lee Joon Gi) and Ha Jae Yi’s (Seo Yea Ji) faces.













Lee Joon Gi and Seo Yea Ji worked with Marie Claire to promote their legal-action-thriller drama in the editorial spread.














Lee Joon Gi plays Bong Sang Pil, a bad boy lawless lawyer, and Seo Yea Ji plays Ha Jae Yi, an equally bad girl. Theirs is an equal partnership. Bong Sang Pil opens his Lawless Law Firm and Ha Jae Yi joins as his partner. They are each other’s other half. There is a romantic relationship between them. Perhaps, a tempestuous one until they get to know each other.

The Marie Claire creative team have faithfully kept to the romantic theme as well as the female power theme of Lawless Lawyer in their editorial spread.










If one were to study the face shape of the two actors, one could discern that Lee Joon Gi’s face is bigger than that of Seo Yea Ji’s but Marie Claire’s team have artistically and successfully merged the faces. Kudos to them for their creativity. Such stupendous imagination!

Marie Claire certainly makes us think again about their perfect pairing - a dream partnership in Lawless Lawyer!





ROMANCE AND POWER

IN

LAWLESS LAWYER















Awake or asleep, Bong Sang Pil thinks of Ha Jae Yi.















Hae Jae Yi, the feminist. Strong. Forceful. Angry. She is confident of her capability and competence and values her independence. She believes in gender equality and female empowerment.












Lolling in her seat, Ha Jae Yi projects the independent look of a woman who believes in the equality of the sexes.

She is dressed in an unusual, oversized pale-brown pant suit.











A super long, loose-fit blazer with big lapels, and loose sleeves. The overlapping front flap of the blazer is crushed and pinned down with a column of three huge buttons.

The blazer is teamed with a pair of voluminous trousers with a long pleat on each flared pant leg.

A misconception is that loose trousers would look baggy.

No doubt, it is unconventional but surprise, it’s current. A fashion statement; it is a piece of empowering clothing with a slight feminine touch - pleats. The power suit makes Ha Jae Yi feel powerful, fashionable and fabulous.





A

CAT-AND-MOUSE

GAME










In the picture above, is there a mouse hole in the wall?

Is Marie Claire declaring that Ha Jae Yi is Jerry, the Mouse in the ‘Tom and Jerry’ cartoon short films?

So, does it mean that Ha Jae Yi takes delight in besting and antagonizing Bong Sang Pil, the Cat in a never-ending contest?  

But, the Mouse must remember to never mess with the Cat. The Cat has character and a seductive purr. He can also pounce like a predator. Don’t argue with the Cat. He might set a mouse trap! (But, is Bong Sang Pil not a big cat – a lion?)

However, in the end, Tom and Jerry would be best friends and have a good amount of mutual respect for each other.





DOG AND CAT




But, come to think of it - aren’t they always fighting like cats and dogs? Are they not the Dog and the Cat, rather than the Cat and the Mouse?





THE MARK

OF

THE ALPHA MALE










Bong Sang Pil is a powerful Alpha male. The lawless lawyer obviously has a bad boy image. Bong is confident, competitive, masculine, dominant but reckless. Life, to him, is a competition. He is loud and vocal but is calm under pressure. The sexy lawyer has swagger; he is in top physical condition.

What makes Bong Sang Pil stand out is he does not subscribe to the herd mentality; he is a non-conformist.

In the Marie Claire image, Bong Sang Pil reinforces our perception about him and his dominance over Ha Jae Yi who is sitting on the couch.

Bong has positioned himself in a ‘power pose’. Standing with feet apart and with his hand placed confidently on her shoulder, he assumes control and dominance over her.












Bong Sang Pil looks the part of a non-conformist Alpha male. Remember, he’s the lawyer who would beat the crap out of every unlucky guy.

Breaking fashion rules. He creates a style that is all his own. No rigid, formal or polished looks here. The look shows the protest of the unruly lawless lawyer.

A casual unbuttoned look. A departure from the norm.

The rough and tough man wears a long and loose dark-grey double-breasted jacket with all the buttons undone.

The button on the collar of his white shirt is also undone. An unusual square end white tie pops out of the unbuttoned collar.

The sleeves of his white shirt with those of his suit jacket are rolled up.

Rebelliousness. His pair of colourful check trousers completes the look of nonconformity to stereotypes.














Displaying a good measure of savvy and confidence, Bong Sang Pil exerts a strong presence; he looks sexy and stylish. A trendsetter.

A fascinating skirt suit for the Alpha lady. The powerful female wears a loose light-grey skirt suit; a combination of an oversized check jacket with loose sleeves teamed with a long check skirt.

However, the plunging V-shaped neckline of her inner black garment boldly proclaims her femininity. But, she is not your garden variety female nor the classic ladylike type; she is a fashionable feminist.













Bong Sang Pil and Ha Jae Yi. A dynamic pair in a chance encounter, each confident in their powerful abilities. The two lawyers smell and sniff each other, then gravitate towards each other. They get physical.













Feuds. A cat and a mouse with their own powerful traits. Their different traits invite conflict and esteem in equal measure. Opposites attract. But, do their similarities repel? They have something in common - their sense of power.

Two different animals. Bong Sang Pil and Ha Jae Yi. Fighting like Tom and Jerry. Or, fighting like cats and dogs.

Ha Jae Yi stays in the shadows, waiting for Bong Sang Pil, the reckless bad boy, to make his move.













Bong Sang Pil’s powerful Alpha body language. Steamy. He struts his stuff. Like a big cat, Lion Bong Sang Pil puffs out his chest and tilts his head in an alluring manner. He smoulders and oozes sex appeal. The really hot, sexy and intense Bong is unafraid to show his masculine charms.

















Framed in black, the gorgeous Bong Sang Pil turns his face slowly and seductively and stares silently at the audience. He unleashes his sexiness. But before he turns to go, he looks lovingly over his shoulders.  

















One can hardly imagine how the partnership between Bong Sang Pil and Ha Jae Yi would end in Lawless Lawyer. But, one is convinced that they are fated to be together; they are each other’s perfect ‘Other Half’.

Viewers can’t wait for Lawless Lawyer to begin. With the release of so many thrilling teasers about the sexy and athletic Lawless Lawyer, the drama is predicted to be a stupendous success.










Bong Sang Pil has already become the latest obsession of the viewers. The Internet is rife with fans and members of the media who seem to be on fire; they are churning out news and articles by the thousand or creating spectacular, dazzling, funny, and outrageous videos, video clips, gifs etc every day. And, the viewers are clamouring for the drama to begin! 

What is mind-blowing is that the fans are already planning a Second Season for Lee Joon Gi and Lawless Lawyer! But, the wildly excited fans cannot be accused of having lost their minds. The amazingly talented and hilariously funny Lee Joon Gi, himself, is to be blamed for THE JOONGI FEVER.









Make a date with Lee Joon Gi and Seo Yea Ji beginning on 12 May 2018 (Saturday).











‘COFFEE? TEA? OR, ME?’









After the shoot wrapped, the super-sexy Lee Joon Gi couldn’t resist posing a naughty question to his fans in his own video clip of the shoot.

‘Coffee? Tea? Or, Me?’

 Lee certainly has a naughty sense of humour.














His gorgeous Phoenix Eyes and sexy Cupid Bow Lips, his super-strong trademarks, move ever so seductively as he mouths his question.

His fans, young and old, who can’t get enough of him or what he has to offer, must have bounced up and down in glee, answering, ‘You, you, you!’






LEE JOON GI’S
SIGNATURE GESTURES
(EXCLUSIVE NON-VERBAL GESTURES)





In Namoo Actors’ video clip, Lee used his legendary naughty gestures – all honed to perfection to charm his audience yet again.

The question is: ‘Has he incorporated them into his drama, Lawless Lawyer?’

What are those signature gestures? Let’s try to interpret them.





Making An ‘O’ Over His Right  Eye With His Thumb and Forefinger



‘Big Brother, oops, Oppa is watching you. JG can see you.’






Pointing One Finger In The Air






He is giving his fans a reminder.

‘Remember, always support Oppa / JG!’






Fingertip Kiss









He raises three fingers of his right hand to his lips in a wiping move to represent kisses to his fans.

‘Love and Kisses for your fierce loyalty!’





Biting His Lip In A Cutesy Manner








‘My people, make more noise for my projects!’





Winking His Eyes









Wink. Wink. Wink. Come on, smile, smile, smile.






Sweeping Fingers Towards The Audience











The King indicates that he is talking to all his people.

‘I love you, my people!’








Mischief in his eyes. His eyes express a lot of mischief. One cannot peel one’s eyes away from his expressive eyes. No one can resist his charm.

Once again, be warned. Never look at his unique eyes for more than a minute. His gorgeous eyes are his calling card. When he calls, you’re totally finished!



Wrong interpretation of the gestures? Ask Lee Joon Gi directly.


















MARIE CLAIRE

INTERVIEW WITH LEE JOON GI

May 2018 Issue
















Q

I noticed you muttering to yourself in between shoots.

Were you memorizing your lines?


A

That’s right. “Lawless Lawyer” is an action-packed drama, but it also requires me to deliver my lines in a way that makes an impact.

Bong Sang-pil isn’t just a cunning hustler but also a sharp-witted, meticulous lawyer, so I have to express this character using different ways of speaking than the serious tones I took in my previous roles. So I’m feeling a lot of pressure to find ways to perfect my line delivery.

I still pride myself on being great at memorizing (laughs) and I love memorizing, but sometimes I mess up my lines because this time the dialog has a different rhythm that I’ve never done before.

That’s why I keep muttering to myself on set, like a crazy person, to master these new sensations (that playing this role involves).


Q

Can you tell us what drama “Lawless Lawyer” is about?


A

At first, it starts off as one individual’s revenge drama, but it’s ultimately about justice and society.

In telling this story, we are throwing in exhilarating action scenes to make it more thrilling.

Since two years ago, we as a nation (South Korea) have had a longing for justice, and now we are finally beginning to see order being restored in our path towards a just society.

It is exactly under these circumstances that I think our drama can deliver some fun.


Q

You’ve reunited with Kim Jin-min 11 years after “Time between Dog and Wolf.”

The news of this reunion alone has generated a lot of buzz.


A

Even after we finished filming the drama (Time between Dog and Wolf) we stayed in touch.

When I was having problems as an actor, we would get together so I could talk to him.

Then, one day, he called me and told me about this Lawless Lawyer project.

He said, “I’ll be honest with you. When I was first offered this project, all my crew said Lee Joon-gi was the perfect choice for the Bong Sang-pil role, but I said I didn’t want you to do it.”

So I asked why and he admitted to feeling great pressure: “Because we shared this success through ‘Time between Dog and Wolf,’ I thought that it wouldn’t do either of us any good if we failed to surpass it.”

The director felt such pressure because “Time between Dog and Wolf” is a well-made drama and found great popularity overseas as well.

And I agreed with him. So we said to each other ‘Let’s give it more thought’ and parted ways.

Then soon after I got another call from him. “Here’s the deal: I will make this drama good enough for you to stay in this business for at least another 10 years. I guess that’s the least I can do to make this worth our while.”

And I was really happy to hear him say that. I’ve known him long enough to know his strong sense of responsibility. I thought there would be definitely something I could take away from working with him on this project, regardless of whether or not it’s successful. So I agreed to work with him right away.


Q


What is it like to work with the director again?

A

He’s got a reputation for being assertive, and he still is.

I love his unique directing style that’s firm and steady. No, maybe not necessarily ‘love,’ but I think that’s the kind of directing required on set.

At this point in my career, I thought working with him would help break my bad habits and control my habitual mannerisms. I guess we reunited at this particular juncture for that reason.

It is important for a director to push ahead with his ideas and get some result out of it, instead of doing things by halves. That’s why I have every confidence in director Kim Jin-min.

He always comes to the set thoroughly prepared and very energetic.


Q

But isn’t Lee Joon-gi second to none when it comes to being energetic?


A

Right, every member of my crew calls me crazy.


Q

Even your co-star Seo Yea-ji heaped praise on you for being so energetic.


A

I eat red ginseng. (Laughs) Let me give you some red ginseng…

Seriously, though, it’s not just a matter of what to eat or not to eat.

The other day, when I was having a drink with my sister, she asked me what motivates me to go to work on the drama set.

I think, in the past, I would give an answer that made me look cool when asked that kind of question.

Like, ‘Actors should blah blah…’ But I guess I’ve become more childlike lately, so (when asked the same question) I will just say, “Because I look cool on TV.”

I mean, what a happy person I am, being taken care of by my crew members who work hard to make a person like me look gorgeous.


Q

You are finally playing a professional that you said you always wanted to play. And there is a bit of romance in it too.


A

That’s what makes me excited and look forward to it (playing the character).

Though I still want to perform in stories about pure, unconditional love or mature romance. I would like to do one when I am still relatively young.

But when I say something like this, the martial arts / action director I’ve known for a decade says, “What are you talking about? You should do more action while you are still in top form. It’d be a waste (if you do not do more action).

You can do romance when you become more mature as a man.”

When I asked how much more mature I should become now that I’m 37 (Joon-gi’s Korean age), he said, “No, you don’t look seasoned enough. You still look like The Little Prince.”

On set, Yea-ji also told me I look really innocent, like The Little Prince.

When I said, “No, I’m a wicked person inside,” Yea-ji said, “No, I have a knack for reading people, and I think you really are an innocent person.”

Then I’d go, “Is this an insult or a compliment?” (Laughs)


Q

Besides Seo Yea-ji, you are also working with veterans like Lee Hye-young and Choi Min-soo.


A

Where else would I be able to work with those two actors in a single drama?

Recently, I filmed a scene where I and Choi Min-soo seonbae-nim make our first appearance together. It was a great feeling that everything seemed to fall into place, and he also seemed satisfied.

Before I began filming this scene, I was under enormous pressure and stress.

The other day, I went to the set even though I didn’t have a scene to film, just to see Choi Min-soo working and say hello.

When I said, “Nowadays you show up in every dream I have,” he said, “Don’t worry. I’m going to play along and follow your lead as you go along.”

He tries to do things that help me broaden my acting range, and I’m pretty good at picking things up, so this entire back-and-forth process like a ping pong game where he serves and I toss, is very exciting and refreshing.


Q

Is there anything that makes your life, as actor Lee Joon-gi, difficult now?


A

For now, I’m focusing on portraying my character perfectly, but I don’t find it very difficult.

As Lee Joon-gi the person, I’m satisfied with my life.

For the first time in my life, I have a hobby. I’m so completely obsessed with jiu jitsu that, once I get into the gym, I just don’t ever want to get out.

As far as challenges go, I have one - that is, I don’t have any more room in my place to keep all the gifts my fans gave me. (Laughs) I keep opening the gifts, but… It’s a happy challenge.



The editorial spread is exciting, interesting and cleverly done. Credit should be given to the creative team, particularly the photographer.

Marie Claire Korea’s editor, who interviewed Lee Joon Gi and Seo Yea Ji, commented on the busy and crowded set which was packed with 30 crew members including the two actors, Lee Joon-gi and Seo Yea-ji, their respective crew members and management teams. However, everything turned out magnificently.


(Only Lee Joon Gi’s part of the interview has been translated)